As per Section 15 of Rules of Road Regulation, 1989, the following rules apply to motorists and 2-wheelers.
The driver of a motor vehicle shall NOT park his vehicle:
- So it causes or is likely to cause danger, obstruction or undue inconvenience to other road users
- At or near a road crossing
(no mention of parking atleast 15 meters away from a road corner, as claimed by the traffic police)
- On a footpath or far away from the edge of the footpath
- Near a traffic light or pedestrian crossing
- Obstructing another parked vehicle or on wrong side of the road
- Near a bus stop, school/ hospital entrance, blocking traffic sign or premises entrance or a fire hydrant.
As per the Sections 127 and 201 of Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, if a motor vehicle is left abandoned or unattended for ten hours or more in a public place, so as to cause impedement to the free flow of traffic, its removal by a towing service or wheel clamping may be authorized by a police officer in uniform having jurisdiction.
So, if your car is not violating any of the above and still your car is towed, you may quote the above laws.